Black Spot, April 1961
The Black Spot opened in 1958 at 4345 Dunbar Street. In the beginning it was variously called “Mother’s” and “The Living End” before the Black Spot name stuck, presumably as the antithesis of a certain local burger chain.
The clientele were mainly students from UBC and Lord Byng, and in the early days it featured poetry read by bill bissett, Peter Trower and other local poets, lots of chess playing, and music by anyone who felt like hammering away at the piano. Later it became a serious jazz venue where young musicians could cut their musical teeth.
The only signage on the exterior was a black dot, and the interior decor consisted of barrel tables, lots of black, fishnets on the ceiling, wine bottle candle holders, and a Godfrey Stephens mural.
Older Dunbar residents were less than impressed with the Black Spot, and in 1959 circulated a petition to have it shut down, but those efforts failed.
Source: Photo by John Le Marquand, via Jazz Street Vancouver